Saturday 30 April 2011

LocalMLS folder full of crap how to delete the jpg files

Recently I was wondering why I have almost no free space left on my Windows 7 system drive... I tried to free as much space as I could and then run the Auslogics Diskdefragmenter and what took my interest was there were thousands of jpg files in some kind of LocalMLS folder...

The path was:

C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player\Art Cache\LocalMLS

(in Czech version the Art Cache is called Mezipaměť grafiky, so there is a high chance that in different language versions of the Windows this folder is translated in the language of your Windows).

Well I had there more than 100 thousand of files totally consuming more than 3GB... what is rather strange though is a fact, that I am actually not using Windows Media Player at all, so why the hell does Windows create this kind of database of album covers?

So I deleted all the jpg files and I have free space again...

P. S. Apparently there is another location of the same:
C:\Documents and Settings\\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Player\Art Cache\LocalMLS


But here it was only couple of megabytes


UPDATE!!! So the interesting thing is that Windows 7 is making these files again and again and again... Sooo the trick is to disable this. I found this as a solution, have to check first if this really works. 


http://www.mydigitallife.info/how-to-disable-windows-7-media-player-network-sharing-service-wmpnetwk/

No comments: